Sample

Sample

Monday, November 11, 2013

Staples of my Cooking

There are a few vegetables that are staple in my kitchen: onion, garlic (minced and paste), ginger (whole and ginger) and green chili peppers.

The garnish for most foods is green fresh cilantro leaves.  In some cases it might be mint or red pepper flakes or roasted cumin seed powder.  It depends on the dish.

I always have fresh yogurt in my fridge. One never knows when one needs it :-)

In terms of fats I keep canola oil and ghee.  Very rarely do I use butter for cooking.

Some other stuff I use a lot: sour cream, salsa and jalopenos.

Common cheeses in my fridge are: ricotta, cheddar, mozarella and cream cheese.  I still have to learn how to use cottage cheese. And of course I keep paneer (Indian home made cheese).

The sauces I keep are: soy sauce, pasta sauce (marinara and alfredo) and tahini.

Pantry is always full.  There are various types of lentils, rice (basmati), wheat flour, white flour, gram flour, beans (garbanzo, kidney and white). Pasta is there too!

Some of the mixes that I keep handy are for dosa, rava idli, dhokla and gulab jamun. These are typically Gits mixes from the Indian store. Once I have these it is easy to make some quick meal without too much trouble.


No comments:

Post a Comment