Sample

Sample

Monday, November 11, 2013

Spices - An Introduction

Using the correct spices are the key to enjoy Indian cooking.  I get most of my spices from the Indian store. Although a number of spices are available in most grocery stores, there are still some that I have to make the special trip to the Indian store.

Here is a list of the spices I use regularly and keep in my spice rack. Then there are some that I keep handy - not for all dishes but occasionally.

Most common:

  • Cumin seeds (Jeera) 
  • Coriander seeds and powder (Dhaniya)
  • Turmeric powder (Haldi)
  • Chili powder (Mirch)
  • Dried Mango powder (amchur or khataai)
  • Garam masala (a mixture of various spices)
  • Fennel seeds (saunf)
  • Asafoetida (heeng)
  • Mustard seeds (raai)
As much as I don't reference Wikipedia, I must say this is the best list of Indian spices with pictures! Indian Spices.

Some of the less used ones are:
  • Fenugreek seeds (methi)
  • Carom seed (ajwaain)
The exotic ones are below. I use these ones only once in a while.
  • Cinnamon (dalchini)
  • Black cardamon (badi elaaichi)
  • Green cardamon (choti elaaichi)
  • Black pepper (kali mirch)
  • Dried ginger (sonth)
  • Nutmeg (jaiphal)
  • Cloves (long)
  • Black salt (kala namak)
  • Dried mint (pudeena)
  • Saffron (kesar)
  • Bay leaf (tej patta)
Then there are some that are premixed for convenience sake. These are named according to what food you use them for:
  • channa masaalaa (for chickpeas)
  • sambhar powder (for sambhar)
  • paav bhaaji masaalaa (for pav bhaaji)....
So best is to have at least the three above for most of the staple dishes. Rest...I get as I need them.  I don't really have a preference for which brand I use: most common are MTR and MDH.

No comments:

Post a Comment